Gateway Communications, also known as Gateway Carrier Services was a telecommunication business division . It was acquired by PCCW Global, a division of HKT Limited in 2012. HKT Limited itself was a subsidiary of PCCW. Gateway Global Communications owns one of the largest pan-African telecommunications networks, supplying Africa's foremost mobile operators and ISPs.
|Fate||became part of PCCW Global|
|Successor||division of PCCW Global|
|Owner||PCCW Global (100%)|
Gateway Communications provided satellite cellular backhaul; international and regional voice and mobile broadband solutions to Africa. They sold voice and data services to enterprises in 40 countries in sub Saharan Africa. Gateway Communications use satellite, sub sea cable (including SEACOM), wireless and fibre connectivity.
Gateway Communications was the first company to invest in SEACOM, which is bringing 1.28 Tbit/s of capacity to the continent.
In 2007, Gateway Communications used Comtech EF Data's CDM-Qx Satellite Modem for their transponder services. Gateway received an award that known as "Excellence in Innovative Cellular Backhaul Services", from Intelsat in 2008.
Gateway [sic] was bought by Vodacom in August 2008 for US$700 million. Vodafone became the indirect parent company of Gateway Communications in December 2008, after Vodafone increased its shares in Vodacom from 50% to 65%.
In August 2008, Gateway established a regional office for Central Africa in Cameroon.
After the takeover, Vodacom spin off Gateway Communications' business services division, Gateway Business Africa. In 2009, it was announced that the business services division would be merged with Vodacom Business.
In June 2012 Vodacom sold the division Gateway Carrier Services [sic], including several subsidiaries that named after Gateway Communications, to PCCW Global for a fee of US$26 million (HK$268 million). PCCW Global was the international business division of Hong Kong Telecom (HKT), a Hong Kong telecoms provider.
In the same year, the assets were transferred to Gateway Global Communications which is now operating as a carrier services company, wholly owned by PCCW Global. Gateway Global Communications was formerly known as PCCW Global (UK) Limited.
- "PCCW Global | Voice & Data Solutions". gatewaycomms.com. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
We're now part of PCCW Global......
- "About us". Gateway Communications. Archived from the original on 16 January 2006. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- "COMTECH EF DATA ANNOUNCES GATEWAY COMMUNICATIONS' USE OF THE CDM-QX SATELLITE MODEM WITH DOUBLETALK™ CARRIER-IN-CARRIER" (PDF) (Press release). Tempe, Arizona: Comtech EF Data. 22 May 2007. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "Gateway, a winner at Intelsat's Annual Excellence Awards". Bizcommunity.com. 8 December 2008. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- Burgis, Tom (29 August 2008). Written at Luanda. "Vodacom buys Gateway for $700m". Financial Times. London. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "Vodafone to Acquire an Additional 15% Stake in Vodacom Group" (Press release). Vodafone. 5 December 2008. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "Gateway Communications Expands into Central Africa" (Press release). Gateway Communications. NewswireToday. 14 August 2008. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Vodacom Business restructures to focus on Africa". Tech Central. South Africa: NewsCentral Media. 10 November 2009. Retrieved 12 March 2019.
- "Gateway expands presence in Guinea and Senegal". itnewsafrica.com. 22 April 2010. Retrieved 18 March 2019.
- "Vodacom Announces the Sale of Gateway Carrier Service" (Press release). Vodafone. 8 June 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- "Notes To The HKT Trust and HKT Limited Consolidated Financial Statements". 2012 Annual Report (PDF) (Report). HKT Limited c/o HKT Trust. 2013. p. 146. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
On August 31, 2012 the Groups acquired 100 per cent of the share capital of Gateway Communications (UK) Limited, Gateway Communications S.A., Gateway Communications S.A.S., Gateway Communications Mozambique Limitada, Gateway Communications (Proprietary) Limited, and certain assets and liabilities of Gateway Communications Africa (UK) Limited (the "Gateway Group"), companies incorporated in United Kingdom, Belgium, France, Mozambique, South Africa, and United Kingdom, respectively......The Groups made a payment for acquisition totaling HK$268 million in cash.
- "VODACOM Gateway unit sold for $26m". Independent Online. Cape Town: Independent Media (Pty) Ltd. Bloomberg. 11 June 2012. Retrieved 11 March 2019.
- Kirchfeld, Aaron; Browning, Jonathan; Lee, Mark (8 June 2012). "Richard Li's PCCW Agrees to Buy Vodacom's African Carrier Unit". Bloomberg. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Notes To The HKT Trust and HKT Limited Consolidated Financial Statements". 2012 Annual Report (PDF) (Report). HKT Limited c/o HKT Trust. 2013. p. 109. Retrieved 11 March 2019.