Reach Limited is a Bermuda-incorporated holding company. It is a joint venture of Telstra and Hong Kong Telecom. Reach, headquartered in Hong Kong, has interests in more than 40 submarine cables (including AJC, APCN2, CUCN, Japan–US, RNAL, SEA-ME-WE 3) and international satellite systems, mainly servicing the Asia Pacific area. Reach has operating licences and landing rights in most major markets including Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, Australia, North America and Europe.
|Headquarters||Hong Kong SAR, China|
|Products||Submarine cable operator|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Reach Networks Hong Kong|
Reach was established as a joint venture between Telstra and PCCW in 2001. Telstra and PCCW injected their international assets, including subsea cables, gateways and satellite capacity into Reach. These assets were supplemented later the same year by the acquisition of Level 3 Communications' Asian assets. After financial difficulties, its shareholders negotiated a debt settlement in June 2004, and it is now financially stable. Reach was restructured, and in 2005 announced that nearly all future expansion would be used for Telstra and PCCW requirements, though it would continue to service its other customers.
In 2011, PCCW transferred the 50% stake of Reach to its subsidiary Hong Kong Telecom (HKT).:151
In January 2011, Reach sold FLAG North Asia Loop System to PCCW Global (Singapore),:V-8 a subsidiary of HKT.
Working with FBI
Telstra was compelled to strike a 2001 deal with the FBI and the US Department of Justice to give them surveillance access to the undersea cables owned by its subsidiary Reach, a new document released online and provided to Crikey reveals.
- "Telstra and PCCW Launch Joint Ventures" (PDF) (Press release). Reach. 7 February 2001. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "Telstra, PCCW reach into Singapore market". Computer World. IDG Communications. 10 July 2001. Retrieved 18 March 2018.
- "PCCW, Telstra settle Reach debt". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- "PCCW, Telstra restructure Reach". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-03-18.
- Global Offering (PDF) (prospectus). HKT Limited c/o HKT Trust. 16 November 2011. Retrieved 5 April 2020 – via Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing website.
Subsequent to 30 June 2011, an interest in Reach Ltd. was transferred to the Group as part of the Pre-IPO Restructuring. Upon completion of the Pre-IPO Restructuring, Reach Ltd. became a jointly controlled company of the Trust Group.
- "REACH : About REACH : Overview". reach.com.
- "Telstra PCCW Reach deal with FBI and Department of Justice surveillance access to cables - Crikey". crikey.com.au.
- "Why US spies wanted to tap Reach, PCCW-Telstra cable joint venture". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-03-18.