Viu (streaming media)
Viu is a Hong Kong-based over-the-top (OTT) video streaming provider from PCCW Media, a subsidiary of PCCW. Operated in dual-revenue model comprising subscriptions and advertising, Viu delivers content in different genres from Asia's top content providers with local language subtitles, as well as original production series under 'Viu Original' initiative.
Type of site
|OTT Video Streaming|
|Available in||English, Chinese, Arabic, Malaysian, Indonesian, Burmese, Hindi, Bangla, Tamil, Telugu, Thai|
|Area served||Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and South Africa|
|Owner||PCCW Media Group|
Viu is now available in 17 markets across Asia, Africa and the Middle East including Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand, Myanmar, Bahrain, Egypt, Jordan, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, the United Arab Emirates and South Africa. As of December 2018 annual results, Viu had over 30 million monthly active users.
In May 2016, Vuclip launched Viu in Indonesia.
Viu OTT video service can be accessed anytime and anywhere via Viu app at App Store for iOS devices and Google Play Store for Android devices across the region, or visit www.viu.com to watch on the web. Registered Viu free or premium subscriber can download videos and watch offline on mobile devices such as smartphones and tablets, as well as save viewing progress, bookmark programmes and receive notifications on new episodes.
Viu's service is run in premium subscription and ad-supported freemium model. Viu premium subscribers are able to enjoy full 1080p HD quality videos, unlimited download without any ads interruption. Meanwhile, Viu freemium users will continue to have access to platform's huge catalogue of content for free.
- "Keeping up with the Koreans: PCCW to offer OTT for TV series content in Hong Kong and beyond". South China Morning Post. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "PCCW Media's Viu OTT play nets over 1.2 million downloads in Hong Kong". Ooyala. Retrieved 2018-01-31.
- "Viu forays into South African market". Indian Television Dot Com. 2019-03-02. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- "PCCW Limited ANNUAL RESULTS ANNOUNCEMENT FOR THE YEAR ENDED DECEMBER 31, 2018" (PDF). PCCW Limited.
- "PCCW launches streaming video service in HK". ComputerWorld Hong Kong. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- "PCCW Media signs the first landmark pan-regional agreement with top four Korean broadcasters and announces regional expansion of Viu OTT service in Asia with Singapore launch". PCCW.com.
- "PCCW Media's Viu OTT video service expands to India and Malaysia further to its launch in Hong Kong and Singapore". PCCW.com.
- "Vuclip launches OTT Service- Viu in Indonesia - Exchange4media". Indian Advertising Media & Marketing News – exchange4media. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- "Viu achieves 4 million users across Asia in first year of launch. Service further expands to the Philippines". PCCW.com.
- "Viu launches in Middle East | VOD | News | Rapid TV News". www.rapidtvnews.com. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- "Viu launches in Thailand". PCCW.com.
- "Viu launches in Myanmar | VOD | News | Rapid TV News". www.rapidtvnews.com. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- Laghate, Gaurav (2019-03-01). "Viu launches OTT service in South Africa". The Economic Times. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- Roy Choudhury, Anirban (16 Dec 2019). "Viu to shut India operations". afaqs!. Retrieved 2019-12-19.
- "Viu". www.viu.com. Retrieved 2019-05-15.
- "Viu launches premium subscription in Singapore with Singtel". PCCW.com.